Staying physically active and socially connected has so many benefits. This becomes all that more important when we should be socially distant to reduce and slow the spread of COVID-19. To help meet this challenge, we’ve compiled many resources and ways to stay active and engaged. Thanks to all the folks at Spalding and elsewhere who helped put these together. If you know of others, please email them to Shaun at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, we will be running interactive events through Spalding Instagram and Snapchat stories, be sure to like and follow those accounts. For those who participate, we’ll be running a weekly raffle for your choice of prizes, up to $50 value!
THINGS TO DO AT HOME
- Create a daily/weekly schedule to establish a routine. Example here.
Travel While Staying At Home
- Frazier History Museum virtual site
- Virtual Field Trips
- Cincinnati Zoo Home Safari – Daily keeper talks via Facebook Live at 3pm EST
- Aquarium Live Streams
- National Parks Service Junior Ranger Program
- 13 Virtual Train Rides From Around the World
- Check out your local library – many offer digital downloads through Overdrive, Libby, Hoopla.
- New York Public Library – SimplyE offers Ebooks for all (with your local library card)
- Free audiobooks by Audible for children/young adults
- Storyline Online – books read by celebrities
- Here’s the Entire List of Authors and Illustrators That are Doing Online Story Time
- Gaming? Join the Spalding eSports Discord channel Chat or coordinate with your fellow Spalding gamers!
- College Pen Pal Program Become a pen pal with someone from another university (or nursing home)
- Google Duo connect with family and friends. Share a tv show/movie, happy hour, celbration or dinner virtually.
- Netflix party – stream virtually with friends.
- Play Cards Against Humanity Online With Your Mates
- Order some board games online. Here’s a list.
- Free games
- Share pictures of your pets or your workspace!
- Brush up on cooking skills:
- United We Move (Planet Fitness) Free in home workouts
- Walk, run, cycle, yoga, dance, or other forms of exercise
- Check out a new trail or park
- Educational Companies offering free subscriptions – Master Sheet
- KidsActivities.Com list of free subscriptions
- Learn at Home, Scholastic has launched a website offering daily enrichment projects for kids stuck at home
- Have Fun Teaching Relief Pack
- Age of Learning
- (free trial month) or your school teacher/administrator can complete a form for access
- ABCMouse Early Learning Academy – preschool-2nd grade
- Adventure Academy – educational massive multiplayer online game for elementary and middle school
- Reading IQ – 12 and under literacy program with thousands of books
- Gill Education – K-2nd year
- DabbleDoo Music
- The Spanish Experiment – children’s stories audio/video in spanish
- Outschool – tons of classes in all disciplines for $5/class
- More indoor activity ideas for kids
- Watch/conduct some science experiments:
- @TheFamilyEdit on Instagram will have a teacher on each morning from 9am sharing practical ideas that you can do with your kids at home.
- Internet – in the Louisville area, Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll, students should call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
Young Adult / Adult Learning
- Khan Academy – tons of courses plus this one on Imagineering in a Box for Disney Fans
- Lynda / LinkedIn Learning
- Some libraries offer free subscriptions or you can trial for a month so you can learn new skills.
- Coursera – free college level classes
- DuoLingo – Learn a language
- Louisville Lectures – free, open-access medical education
- Watch a documentary at Documentary Heaven
- Virtual Marine Biology Camp
- Kentucky Performing Arts #KPAatHome!
- Play the drums at Patatap
- The Metropolitan Opera Streams
- 15 Broadway Plays and Musicals You Can Watch On Stage From Home
- 12 virtual museum tours
- Download Free Coloring Books from 113 Museums
- Mrs Brown’s Art Class – all of her slides
- Draw Disney Characters on Disney Parks Blog
- Craft Ideas RedTedArt On Youtube
- @Wil_Sliney on Instagram, Spider-Man and Star Wars, is doing a daily art challenge
- @ArtyArtsDublin on IG have started the #windowconnections campaign, challenging kids to create a positive message to hang in your window for passers by to see in these unsettling times. Get creative and use materials that are already in your house.
- Share your child’s performance they’ve been working on to entertain the rest of us
- Recreate Paintings With Stuff You Can Find at Home
- Ailey On Stage free stream
- MoMA Is Now Offering Online Art Classes for Free
- Rewatch your favorite shows
- Check out podcasts
- And more…